Saturday, August 14, 2010

Bread Poha



Its been two weeks since I have been trying to lead a disciplined life, waking up at 6, cooking breakfast, packing our lunch and even cooking enough for dinner so don't have to cook twice. Whew! Never ever imagined that I would be cooking this much but then guess the craving for good food and lack of good cooks around gives way to all this hard work in the kitchen. :) Well, guess my experiments in the kitchen will continue till I find another cook.

The recipe today is a quick and easy snack I used to see my Mom cooking. I usually pack it as a mid-meal snack to take care of any hunger pangs sometime between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and tea when you get the craving to munch something. Yeah, yeah I know I eat too much but atleast this is a filling and tasty alternative to snacking on chips and other junk food at work.

Ingredients:

8 slices of bread cut into squares (you can use smaller quantities but I make enough to share at work) :P
2 potatoes cut into squares (you can even use carrots)
1 cup of peas
1-2 green chillis depending on your preference
1 tbsp ginger paste
2 chopped onions
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric
A handful of chopped coriander
Salt to taste
Oil

- Boil the veggies (potatoes, peas) in a pressure cooker.
- Heat oil in a separate pan and add cumin and the mustard seeds.
- Add onions, chillies and the ginger paste and fry till onions turn brownish
- Add the boiled veggies and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the bread squares and stir some more
- Add turmeric, salt and coriander and fry for 2 minutes.

You can even add a dash of lemon if you want some zest. The bread poha is ready to be eaten or packed as a mid-meal snack or even lunch if you wish.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried adding a beaten egg into this? Makes for a heavier meal, and tastes great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, tried that! My hubby likes it with eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete