Saturday, July 14, 2012

Chicken Kosha



One of those dull Saturday's when all I want to do is curl up with a good book, eat loads of chocolates (the fridge is stuffed thank goodness), and do absolutely nothing else. But so many chores and repairs to get done. To top it, I can't watch most of my favorite channels due to a bad signal caused by a building construction right in front of the dish antenna.

More than the TV woes, what I will miss the most is the lovely view of this beautiful, serene mustard field I could gaze upon from our dining room. Now all I see is this monstrosity of a large apartment complex being built called Fresh Living. Weird name! Even weirder when I wonder what's so fresh about a concrete structure in a concrete city but well can't do much about the haphazard development that occurs in Indian cities. I would need to move to the countryside or buy a farm of my own and since I lack funds to do that back to reality.

Well to motivate and distract myself from a lot of stuff decided to cook. I haven't cooked much the last 2 years so was apprehensive as to how it would turn out but thank goodness it turned out more than edible. :) So here goes my Mom's recipe customized a bit based on the ingredients available in the fridge:

Chicken - 8-10 pieces
Mustard Oil - I don't really measure. I just pour till it covers the pan
Bay leaf -1-2
Onions - 2
Tomatoes - 2
Garlic - 8-10 cloves
Ginger - 1 small slice
Green chillies - 8-10
Red chilly - depending on your preference
Cardamom - 3 pods
Cinammon - 1 stick
Cloves - 3
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1-2 tsp depending on how spicy you want the dish
Biryani masala - 1-2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Coriander - 1 bunch chopped
Mint - 1 bunch chopped
Salt to taste
Sugar - 1 tspn

- Marinate the chicken with salt, turmeric, biryani masala. I decided to use biryani masala instead of chicken masala coz read somewhere it gives a wonderful flavor
- Heat oil and add the bay leaf, and dried red chilly until it infuses the flavor.
- Add the whole spices and onions and cook till it browns.
- Add the garlic, ginger, green chilli, turmeric, chilli powder and cook for 7-8 mins. Add a spoon of water if it tends to stick to the pan.
- Add the chicken and chopped tomato, a dollop of ghee based on your preference and season with salt and sugar.
- Cook in medium heat for 30-40 mins.
- Add the chopped coriander and mint leaves (Mint is not necessary but I decided to try my own variation)
- Cook until the water evaporates based on your gravy preference.
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with coriander and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... looks so yummm... wonder how great will it taste! Lovely to find you in the blogger space after a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with Chandrima. That sounds delicious! I have everything except for the mustard oil, biryani masala and ghee. Sounds like a quick trip to the grocery store is in my future ;)

    ReplyDelete