Sunday, December 21, 2008

Phulkopir Torkari

Today I am going to post something for my vegan friends. This is especially for you Meenu, cauliflower curry bong style! I have never tasted this curry as I am allergic to cauliflower, but Joy simply loves it. Well, not that he has a choice. :)

Anyways, next time, I will try and find a healthier recipe for you and Ash since I know you both are trying to reduce fried food.

I generally cut the cauliflower into large sized florets and slit the potatoes lengthwise into 4 pieces. I make garam masala at home by grinding cinnamon, cloves, elaichi in a grinder. If you are pressed for time, you can always use the packet variety that is readily available across most grocery stores.

Ingredients:

Cauliflower - small size
Potatoes - 2
Green chilli - 2
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - - 1 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Water - 3 cups
Coriander - a handful

-Heat oil in a pan and add cauliflower. Fry till it turns reddish and remove from heat.
-Fry potatoes till reddish and remove from heat.
-Add cumin seeds, green chilli and bay leaf in the same pan. Sauté till it splutters.
-Add the fried potatoes and cauliflower.
-Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and chilli powder.
-Add cumin powder, salt and 3 cups of water. Cover and cook till vegetables are done.
-Add garam masala powder and mix.
-Garnish with coriander.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Such! Great recipe.Keep posting - Meenu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suchandra, I am planning to make this very soon. I will let you know how it goes :)
    Thanks for the recipe :) - ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do I feel my comments are being deleted mysteriously??!!

    I have tried this out couple of times, and its yum. However, I sometimes boil the gobi for 2 mins in the microwave and then fry it so that it's quicker. - Gowri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey .. I tried this once, very recently, and it turned out well ... and believe it or not, I also microwaved gobi and then fried it ... saves electricity! ... and it did turn out quite well ... thanks for the recipe! - ash

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it. Will look up some more veg recipes for you all.

    ReplyDelete