Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pinkz turns Chef

I finally decided enough was enough and threw out the cook. I needed to get my life back on track rather than be at the mercy of her whims and fancies. After years of announcing to Joy that cooking is the last thing I will ever do, I realized that I have to take charge and not be dependent on anybody. From the time we decided to set up house, we have had a string of cooks who have come and gone.

Joy and I crave for bong food and none of them could rustle up anything close. My not cooking, also resulted in a lot of disasters when we threw parties. There were times when the cook didn't show up or even if she did, the meal would be ruined for some reason or other. Then we would land up ordering from various take-aways, which somehow never compensates for a good wholesome home cooked meal.

So that's how I took charge of the kitchen. A kitchen that was always a mystery to me till recently. I called up Mom, Aunts, cousins, frens, anyone and everyone who could give me a recipe and took my first baby steps in the kitchen. The first few weeks were crazy and I just couldn't get the recipes right. Then things seemed to improve bit by bit. The more I cooked, the more I learned, and the more I improved my culinary skills.

It has been a few months since I started my adventures in the kitchen and I have begun to enjoy every moment of it. Even though I am yet to master all the tips and tricks for cooking that perfect meal, I am content that I have successfully passed the beginners level and am able to rustle up quite a few dishes if anyone happens to stop by at the last moment for a meal.

Since there are many folks who ask me for recipes and many who still haven't shared their Mom's recipes, maybe now you can pass them on so that I can add it to my list of recipes. So here goes a few recipes that have been passed on, customized, or even invented as my culinary journey progresses.

3 comments:

  1. Truly inspiring!
    Have been cooking now atleast 3 meals a day for the last few years, but in the rat race to produce something hot on the table and at the same time ensure that I am at work on time or dancing to the tunes of my little one, I seem to have completely lost out on the fun aspect of cooking. Thanks for adding the fun flavour and spicing up my cooking time.
    Cheers,
    Purabi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know cooking does get monotonous...especially after a long, tiring day at work...have to keep motivating myself everyday...just wanted to add that the shorsho maachh you made was amazing....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a country where I can get a taco stand every corner and live literally a stones throw away from two restaurants, I still cook. Not because I need to, not because I have two roomies with unsatiable appetites, but rather because cooking is relaxation for me. Calms me down. There is something magical in the sounds of a simmering pot or the sharp yet satisfying sounds of chopped up onions sizzling in hot oil.

    Yes, I am a foodie. I love fusion and my dishes are never really bong enough. Rather, its a satisfying mix of Bong, Marathi and Northern cuisine, with a healthy dash of continental flavors thrown in.

    I am a guy, so I get the question a lot - Isnt cooking for girls? My answer - Name 5 top chefs. How many were men?

    Cooking is therapy. A creative art and nothing beats a satisfied smile on the face of a satiated person after a good meal. What say?

    ReplyDelete